Monday, June 13, 2011

Our trip

So here are a few more details about our cross country trip. We left on Sunday May 29th after a having breakfast with Leah at Waffle House in Apache Junction. (We met her there because she stayed out in florence after the wedding reception on Sat.) Nothing says the south like eating at Waffle House!
We took of through the Salt River Canyon. The traffic was slow but it was nice to see one of the beautiful areas of Arizona one more time.
That day was very windy the entire trip. There was alot of dust and strong wind gust. It made pass those big rigs a little scary. We landed in Shamrock TX for the night.
The next day was much more interesting. We went through Oklahoma City first then Little Rock AR. Arkansas is a very beautiful state escecially the area of the Ozarks - many rolling hill, big trees and green meadows. Our next city was Memphis, TN - it has a beautiful skyline. We took a little angle through Mississippi and then went through Birmingham, AL. We were driving when I noticed several trees looked damaged. I said to Jim it looked like tornado damage. The next thing you now looking left was a 2 block wide path of destruction. It went on as far as we could see. I've never seen tornado damage close up like that and it was like looking at a movie set. You can't imagine how it looks until you see it, I can't believe what that night felt like for those hiding in the basement. Only the grace of God prevented so many more from being hurt or killed.
After Birmingham, we headed to Atlanta. We went past Talladega - famous spot for all NASCAR fans - and found out it is also the name of a national forest. We hope to visit both someday.
We arrived home around 11pm on May30th. Emptied the car and went to sleep, well if you can call it that. All we had was an air mattress, so with two people if one moves the other wakes up. We were both pretty wiped from the trip so it didn't go too bad.
We are getting settled in, getting food and furniture. The POD came and went - our stuff in here but still working on organizing some areas.  The cable/Internet installation took two trips and numerous phone calls. The first guy came close to getting seriously hurt - but he was bigger than me so I just had to keep telling myself- "It's not a good idea to punch this guy, you really don't want to do it"....repeat... The second guy was coughing and hacking so I asked it he had allergies - he said "no, bronchitis"  Oh, thanks for sharing!
Enough for one day, I'll add more later and include some pictures of our neighborhood.
Also I start working tomorrow and I can share the scoop on that!

1 comment:

  1. yeay!! what a cool blog you have, with a great picture for the back ground. How fun to hear of your adventures! Erin

    ReplyDelete