Monday, September 12, 2011

Update on work and the PGA Championship

It's been a while since I updated  - sorry! It's not that there is nothing to tell but it has been busy. Work is going well, I do have a preference now for one of the surgery centers. I think it's partially the people there are more diverse - not everyone is from Georgia. Also, I work preop there and at the other place I work mostly PACU. So it's more my comfort zone and seem to be a better fit. For now though I will stay at both places - mainly for "political reasons".

The PGA championship was held in Georgia this year at the Atlanta Athletic Club. On one of our Sunday afternoon drives we decided to go to Johns Creek. One of Jim's coworkers lives there and we decided to check it out. It would be like driving out to ? Queen Creek - maybe not as far. Anyway, I checked to see if there was anything going on of interest that day. I found out that it would be the site of the PGA Championship August 8 - 11th. Because of that they were having a PGA Championship history exhibit. We decided to check it out on our drive.
It was just an exhibit in an empty store front of a strip mall. It had a plaque for each year showing the winner and some sort of memorabilia - club, shoe, glove. As we went through they had a quiz to fill out. Nothing too hard - who won in 19... , who won the last time it was in Atlanta etc. Jim knew several answers and the others were right there in the exhibit. They said if you turned it in you would be in a drawing for prizes. Of course, I'm thinking it was some kind of marketing scam, But we did turn ours in.
Two weeks later I got a call. "Remember when you fill out the quiz at the exhibit?" "Yes..." I said expecting to hear the pitch. "You won two week long passes to the tournament!"  "What? Really?"
Yes I did! Which was great for two reasons: they were worth $285 each! and we wanted to go on Sunday which would cost $75 each. 
So I gave tickets to a friend at work, Jim gave some to a customer and friends at work. But we saved Sunday for us.
It was a great day, for a while quite hot in the sun. But we settled at the 16th hole as the final groups came in. No cameras were allowed but Jim had the need to "check his phone" quite frequently resulting in quite a number of pictures of the day.
The fans sitting on the 16th hole.

Our view on the 16th hole.
We followed the last group to the 18th hole. Jason Dufner had been in the lead and he was a fan favorite being from Auburn Al. However in the last two holes Keegan Bradley came back and tied him. So they had to go back to 16 and play 3 more holes.
We had earpieces that gave the radio broadcast - which was great to keep up with everything. So we stayed at 18, listened and waited. As they came back Keegan Bradley was in the lead, Dufner had a chance to tie again but wasn't able. So Bradley - a rookie in his first major tournament won. It was quite exciting the crowd went crazy.

The crowd follows the golfers to 18
The winner!

A good time was had by all!
Sorry, I couldn't really zoom or edit the pictures too much - they get too blurry.

I have more posts so hopefully the next day or two I can get up to date!

No comments:

Post a Comment